- Daemon that routes messages from inputs to their outputs applying
filters as configured.
- A message is the atomic unit of data that Hekad deals with. It
is a data structure related to a single event happening in the
outside world, such as a log file entry, a counter increment,
an application exception, a notification message, etc. It is
specified as a Message struct in the heka/message packages
- Message matcher
- A configuration option for filter and output plugins that specifies
which messages that plugin accepts for processing. The Heka router
will evaluate the message matchers against every message to and will
deliver the message when the match is positive.
- Messages being processed by Hekad are passed through a specific set of
plugins. A set of plugins to be applied to a message is often called
(somewhat informally) a Heka pipeline.
- In addition to the core message data, Hekad needs to track some
related state and configuration information for each message. To this
end there is a PipelinePack struct defined in the heka/pipeline
package’s pipeline_runner.go file.
PipelinePack objects are what get passed in to the various Hekad
plugins as messages flow through the pipelines.
- Hekad plugins are functional units that perform specific actions on or
with messages. There are four distinct types of plugins: inputs,
decoders, filters, and outputs.
- A Heka configuration setting which specifies the size of the input
channel buffer for the various Heka plugins. Defaults to 50.
- An interface that provides access to certain Heka internals that may
be required by plugins in the course of their activity. Defined in
- A plugin-specific helper object that manages the lifespan of a given
plugin and handles most details of interaction w/ the greater Heka
environment. Comes in four variants, each tailored to a specific
plugin type (i.e. InputRunner, DecoderRunner, FilterRunner,
- A Heka configuration setting which specifies the number of
PipelinePack structs that will be created. This value specifies the
maximum number of incoming messages that Heka can be processing at any
- Component in the Heka pipeline that accepts messages and delivers them
to the appropriate filter and output plugins, as specified by the
plugins’ message matcher values.